Keep in mind, if you are going to pay someone to build a site for you, then you should be hearing the same things from them, if not go with a different company. This will assume you have high traffic in mind for your site, so all tips here are from a search engine optimization (SEO) stand point.
1) web site name (www.yourcompany.com) - there are two ways of thinking about the web site address, it should include what you do and it should have your name. Now it should always be as short as possible but think of it this way, when someone is searching for your product for the first time they will search for the product or service that you offer, if you have that incorporated in the name you will have more credibility with the search engine as well as the person doing the search. However if you get to the level that everyone knows your company, such as Google, then people will search for your company name. So I think it is a good idea to reserve both your company name as well as a name that relates to your product or service.
2) Don’t use flash, animation, or things that move. - It’s a fact that people who surf the web do not like them, yet site builders continue to use them, why? Because it looks neat and they can make a lot of money on them, if you want a lot of traffic to your site don’t be tempted.
3) keep it clean and simple - try to think of the layout as a newspaper, its ok to have images to the sides or on the top but keep the main information in the center
4) Pictures - use a lead picture at the top of the article or information, make sure it is relevant to the text. If the text is long use more pictures but make sure the are smaller than the first
5) Text or content - don’t write your site for search engines! This is a big mistake because it will not sound right and your customers will get confused and go to some other site. Your text should be from the stand point of you telling someone that you just met about your product or service.
6) there is no magic bullet - web sites take time to get high ranking, even if you pay a professional SEO agent to “legally” get you high rankings the best you can hope for in the first 6 months is top 5 pages in results. Of course there is ways around this but in the end it will cost you. If someone tells you anything other than that run away, if it sounds too good to be true then it is.
7) keep it search engine legal - its white had vs. black hat, the white hats are the good guys. If you do something that is black hat your site will be sent to internet jail and probably never heard form again.
give your customer a reason to go with you. - don’t just tell them what you offer, tell them why they need you. Solve a problem, fit a need, give them what they are looking for and you will have a customer for life. But first you must convince them.
9) don’t give up - at times this will seem like it will never work, it will work . You need to sick with it, if you are not getting results in 6 months look at other ideas, try a blog they do make a difference.
10)links, links, and more links - all links are good, it’s the way search engine spiders get around the web. Put links in your e-mails, from your blogs, twitter, face book, my space, have your friends do the same. Remember any link is good, the spiders only see the link they don’t read the reason for the link. Here is an example, I once had a customer that was unreasonable and tied to get out of paying for my product. He threatened to post negative information all over the internet about my product and service, I told him “go right ahead, in fact why don’t you put a link so they will see my site and know not to buy from me”. Well he did just that, any damage he could have done was nothing compared to the increase in traffic. In fact some of the people read his posts and purchased from my company anyway.
Now one quick note about paying for links, personally I don’t do it, however it is a fast way to get your site high ranking. I will admit that I did at one time try pay per click. If you have the budget for it fine, but you will get more for your money by paying for SEO or a professional text writer. There is not substitute for natural ranking, sponsored links will never get as many hits as natural links. If you are going to do pay $30.00 to $100.00 or more. Next time we will have more info on how pay per click works.
As always, we are here to help, if you have questions or need more information, feel free to contact us. Www.flints-design.com or email@example.com 801-259-2877